Sunday, September 24, 2006

Signs of Life

Sorry for the big silence -- the last month I was mostly out of range, visiting family and friends in Germany and England, and spending a two-week vacation in Venice, most of the time without any internet access.

I'm currently thinking about doing a series of expository posts about Lattice QCD for Non-Physicists, since I feel that most of the stuff posted on this blog so far is probably incomprehensible for most people without a physics degree, and blogs are an ideal means of outreach to the wider public after all. Comments (both encouragement and criticism) are welcome.

3 comments:

Chad said...

I'm currently thinking about doing a series of expository posts about Lattice QCD for Non-Physicists, since I feel that most of the stuff posted on this blog so far is probably incomprehensible for most people without a physics degree, and blogs are an ideal means of outreach to the wider public after all.

I think that's a terrific idea. I'd love to see a good explanation of that stuff, as my own understanding of it is pretty sketchy.

Markk said...

Absolutely, Peter Woit mentions it as an aside in his book, but I couldn't get the gist - except for the obvious, calculating ... something ... at lattice points, but I am obscure on what is happening, do you reduce the mesh, is this dynamic? I am assuming you are kind of looking at strong force interactions mostly. I am somewhat familiar with doing calculations on a dynamically sized lattice in a totally different context. Looks like there are several competing ways to lay things out. Is there any other practical way to do the calculations you are trying to do or is this the only quantitative model going?These are just a few of the things that ran through my mind. Your conference description about the Eastwood situation (Good, Bad, Ugly) was interesting.

Dimitri Terryn said...

Great idea! I know next to nothing about latice QCD, but I'm interested in learning more about it.